The Clans of Ireland Ltd.
The Furey Clan is registered with and officially recognised by
OF IRELAND LTD. in Ireland. In 1990 the Prime Minister of Ireland
established the Clans of Ireland as the governing body of family
associations in Ireland and holds a Registered Charity status in
Ireland (Charity No. 11585). The Chairperson and Board of Directors
give their time and efforts to assist on a voluntary basis to promote
all registered family Clans worldwide and we have Lorcan J.O'Flannery
to thank for all his assistance. We here, on this website, are extremely
proud to have applied for and registered the name as a clan on behalf
of all descendants of all variations of the name everywhere. The
Clans of Ireland Office has the responsibility to:-
· Assist in the formation of new family Clans where one
does not already exist for a specific family surname
· Help publicise and organise Irish Clans
· Assist Irish Clans in planning and holding Clan Gatherings.
With funding from Bord Failte (The Irish Tourist Board)
and the European Union, the Clans of Ireland has succeeded in registering
nearly 200 Irish Clans, and this year will hold over 40 Clan Gatherings,
attended by more than 10,000 people of Irish descent. Some Irish surnames
have roots originating in the 5th century A.D. and earlier. Some descend
· Kings and ruling families who were prominent
in Irish history
· Famous intellectual or bardic families who preserved the history
and culture of their nation for posterity
· Viking invaders from Scandinavia
· The Norman knights who also came to fight, and then settled in
All of the above represent the richness of what is meant
by being Irish and have contributed to our ancient culture and heritage.
You are more than welcome to celebrate and share in this heritage by participating
in this movement, and even visiting the homeland of your ancestors.
The Furey Clan - Membership and Costs
The family name has only been registered as a clan as
of May 2002. It doesn't matter where you are in the world or how many
generations back your bloodline goes to any variation of the name of this
sept from Co. westmeath in Ireland, we will represent all branches of
the family. We are very enthusiastic is our approach to all things Furey/Fury.
The name Furey was selected for the clan (and this website) only because
it is the surname of the people involved Paul, Brian, Michael and Geraldine,
who are all members of the same family. It is interesting to note that
our grandfather was born as a Fury in 1899, but it appears that the people
collecting the 1901 census in Clontarf, Dublin added that extra "E".
We are a non-profit organisation with voluntary officers
covering both this website and the Clan Furey so you can help with the
operational and admin costs by becoming a registered member for €17
/ $15 per annum. Your annual membership helps pay for printing and postage
for your membership certificate, newsletters and correspondence genealogical
and historical research and other expenses.
By joining Clan Furey you can benefit from and/or avail
of most, if not all of the following: -
· We will forward you a coloured
frameable Certificate of Membership
· Foster a kinship and enjoy an "official" sense of belonging
to the greater family around the world
· Your own Furey email firstname.lastname@example.org
address. Check here for details.
· Contribute you family details and histories so that we can co-ordinate,
compile and produce a detailed history of the family. We have some history
details here but we still have a lot more to
do, especially with ancient history.
· Maintain and receive electronic updates and/or issue newsletters
covering members own stories and/or other contributions.
· Be part of organisation where members can get together for social
occasions. We will promote and assist with the possibility of setting
up any Clan gatherings - when and wherever they may occur in the world.
Arrangements can be made to meet other clan members either residing in
Ireland or visiting at the same time other members
· Be part of an organisation that provides a means of communication
· Become a part of a global family registry in our family Web
· Have the right to vote for officers to the Clan Furey Council
to replace the interim set up that is currently in situ and comprising
of the family members mentioned above. The council positions are Clan
Leader (currently vacant), Genealogist, Historian, Treasurer, Membership
Chairperson and Webmaster.
· The right to vote on Clan motions
· Access to a permanent repository that we will set up and will
be for records, relics and material associated with the Clan
· Supply your family details and have them published in our internet
database of births, marriages and deaths.
· Have your own family, business, society and/or personal website
linked from here.
Go to our register page and
fill in the online form.